Ethernet not found by Windows xp

Gaz4545 22:03 22 Jan 08

Hi, Have a Packard Bell imedia, lost the recovery disk and had to reload a seperate Win XP. Since I did that I cannot get back the Network on the devices and therfore no ethernet connection can be made to the internet. Could this be linked to the bios..or do I need to download a driver for the ethernet card and if so how can I tell the make?...thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:07 22 Jan 08

do I need to download a driver for the ethernet card and if so how can I tell the make?

SIW click here

STREETWORK 22:08 22 Jan 08

Not linked to bios. but check in device manager to see if there is a problem with the ethernet card, right click it and update the driver to ensure its installed correctly...

Gaz4545 22:14 22 Jan 08

Hi..thanks for getting back so quickly, In the device manager there is no Network adaptor icon, so how do I get that listed, appreciate that may be the problem, but advice on where to go from here appreciated. It does seem a common problem with Packard Bell pc's...thanks

MAJ 22:31 22 Jan 08

Looks like you'll have to install the driver foryour network card. Fruit Bat /\0/\ gave a link to SIW, download, install and run it, that should tell you the make and model of the Network card, that will allow us to search for the correct driver. Else give us the model number of your iMedia PC, PB should have the correct drivers on their website.

Gaz4545 22:44 22 Jan 08

Hi, I downloaded SIW but it says Network Card 0. I know there is one on it because before it crashed it was working ok on the internet. In Device manager there is no network card listed either...got me baffled. Would removing the ethernet card and re- inserting help? I tried the Packard Bell website but to no avail. The PC is a Packard Bell imedia 5075 and the serial number is 025715120787. So near..but so far...thanks guys for your support. I know a little...but just not enough. Cheers

MAJ 22:48 22 Jan 08

I wonder was the crash caused by the network card failing? Yes, try taking it out and reseating it, Gaz4545.

Migwell 22:51 22 Jan 08

Had a similar problem while trying to get Sky broadband working on my daughters computer. It turned out to be that the LAN socket was not enabled in the BIOS. I enabled it and everything sprang to life.

Quiller. 22:57 22 Jan 08

The driver pack from click here

MAJ 22:58 22 Jan 08

Are you sure the imedia 5075 has an ethernet port, Gaz4545? Are you sure you weren't just using the internal modem?

Gaz4545 23:00 22 Jan 08

Really appreciate all ur support. OK I have looked in the Bios..but where would the LAN socket be situated? I have looked under all the headings but to no avail...think we are getting there...I appreciate the comment about re positioning the ethernet card too..but want to do the Bios first...thanks guys..looking forward to your replies...cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5