Ethernet Network & Cables - TV Fuzzy

00edgarj 23:47 24 Oct 03

Our home network has cables running down the wall cavity to link our upstairs & downstairs PCs. One of the PCs downstairs has the TV Aerial point mounted directly below the network point - before the network point was there we only had the TV point so when we added the network point we used the same hole in the wall to pull the Ethernet cable through as the Coax TV cable was already using. The TV in that room is rarely used, and a while after we noticed that the picture was very distorted - the sort of reception you would expect when the cable has become unplugged.

This was about 18mths ago now, as I said it is rarely used so it was not on the top of our project list. However, the reception has been getting worse and worse recently, and we now wish to use the TV on a more regular basis.

I have tried everything from turnin off the network hub to replacing the TV Aerial socket (this worked for a short amount of time) and patch cable to TV. The only other possibility that I can think of now is that there is magnetic or RF interference from the Network Cable (even when it it switched off) which causes the radiation.

My knowledge of networking is now much more extensive than when this installation was created, and I believe the term "Unshielded" is applied to many networking items. I assume that this means there are "shielded" options available. Would these shield the other cable from the interference? If I was to buy shielded Cat5e cable, and I know that I can get a shielded TV Wall Socket, is this likely to solve the problem? Would I also need to investigate shielded coax TV cable / Network points?

My only other next step (which may help to prove this theorey) is to remove the network cable from the cavity temporarialy, and see how this affects the picture - though I would prefer not to have to do this if possible.

BTW - I have checked the network point with another TV - the other TV is fuzzy too and I have thried that TV on another TV point - It had a perfect picture so yes it is fully tuned into every channel!!!

Thanks in advance for your help,

DieSse 00:07 25 Oct 03

If the equipment at both ends of the network cable are switched off, then it cannot emit any form of interference.

Since you appear to have several TV points, it's more likely to be signal loss through the way in which each of the points derive it's splitting from the original aerial signal.

If the point with the problems is at the end of a distributed signal, it could have a relatively weak signal getting to it. As the original signal from the antenna will always deteriorate with time, due to water damage, corrosion, etc in the actual antennal, connection points/cable junctions, the weakest level at the end of a run can readily change from enough to give a good picture to too little. The same percentage loss of signal further up the chain may make no perceptible difference to a picture.

So - I would carefully check out the way in which the TV signal is distributed (do you/should you have a distibution amplifier) and the condition of ALL the cables and juctions in the system, from the antenna downwards - there's the most likely source of the problem.

00edgarj 01:05 25 Oct 03

Thanks DieSse. There is a signal booster / splitter - it is fairly new as it was replaced just a few years ago when we needed an extra TV point. I shall have to try other options - I am glad that I can rule out the network though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple