Ethernet modem/card for cable only???

yid61 00:59 01 Jun 03

I've been having a nightmare with my BT Broadband Alcatel Modem (the purple one). Worked OK then cut out after 20mins or so and would need reboot before working again but then it happened all over again. I tried all sorts of things- patches, new drivers, PCI USB Controller Card etc but nothing worked. My OS became really unstable and eventually I upgraded from ME to XP to see if this cured it. It's stable but my modem still doesn't work. I saw (after the event) a forum where a guy (voiceoverman) had been having pretty much the same problem but he sorted it out by 'going the ethernet route' and getting a ethernet modem/card. I quickly rushed off to the shop to buy one but on explaining the problem to the assistant he said ethernet was for cable only! Is this right? If so, what else can anyone suggest? I've been trying everything I can think of for 4 weeks now and have started to lose my mind! Help!!

P.S. I'm something of a novice so bear with me if I ask stupid questions.

DieSse 01:06 01 Jun 03

No - ethernet is not for cable only. It's more commonly used in commercial ADSL intallations, with multi-port routers - but also perfectly Ok for home use too. I have a number of friends who use ethernet - ADSL modems/routers.

You will need a different modem or router, however, one with a LAN/Ethernet input.

And I can't see any logical reason why this would solve your problem unless you are in a fringe area, and you get new, more sensitive modem/router.

jeez 01:29 01 Jun 03

was it pc world?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…