Ethernet Modem Problems

Gibbons 12:06 30 Dec 05

I recently brought a D-link dsl 300t ethernet modem to replace a usb one i have already. However i have encountered difficulties when trying to set up the internet connection. When i plug the modem into the ethernet socket on my pc (Dell Dimension 5150) it does not recognise it as an internet connection, rather as a LAN network. When trying to connect to the internet it insists on using my old usb modem to dial up even though it isnt plugged in anymore. There is probably a simple solution but i cant think what to do. Also strangly i think it must be connecting to the internet as mozilla firefox works fine but all my other internet applications including internet explorer don't regonise the new connection. Any help?

djwheeler 12:19 30 Dec 05

Try going to the Control Panel, Internet Options, click on the Connections tab and see whether the old modem connection is still listed there.

wobblymike 12:25 30 Dec 05

Recognition of your ethernet modem as a LAN network is entirely correct. As djwheeler says above you need to go into the Connections tab in Internet options - normally for a ethernet connection you would set it to Never dial a connection.
Then go into Network Connections - there you will see your LAN connection - make sure it is the only one there or is set to default. I am making the assumption here that you have set up your ethernet modem with your Internet details. If you haven't however post back.

woodchip 12:36 30 Dec 05

Go to network in Control panel and remove your old connectition you will then have to reset it up for the Lan that's Ethernets are

007al 12:38 30 Dec 05

You need to disable your old connection.
In Tools-Internet Options-Connections,if theres anything in th Dial up box,clcick on it and click remove.

007al 12:44 30 Dec 05

Its sorted?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…