Ethernet and Ireland,

tillyfloss12345 13:29 18 Nov 07

Hi, hope you can help, i have moved to Rep of Ireland and purchased a desktop and a laptop over here. Unfortunately there is no broadband available where i live so have to use dial up. This is fine for the laptop as it has a modem jack however for the desktop it only has an ethernet jack. Does this mean that I will not be able to connect the desktop to the internet until broadband is available in our town.Or is there a different way round this. Please help.

Diodorus Siculus 13:36 18 Nov 07

You can buy a modem and install it into the desktop without any problems. Get either a PCI (internal) modem or a USB external one.

Just ask in a PC Shop for a 56k modem or buy online - they are still widely available.

ambra4 13:38 18 Nov 07

You need to buy a dial up modem either a internal or external one for the desktop

MAJ 13:51 18 Nov 07

If you are in a good strong mobile phone signal reception area, head down to your nearest CarphoneWarehouse and ask about a 'Mobile network'. You'll get a usb modem (€99) that apparently works on a sim card to give you broadband. O2, Vodaphone and Meteor do them, choose the provider who gives the strongest signal in your area.

My brother, who lives in Clones, Co.Monaghan, was in the same position as you, now he can get a 3.5Meg connection this way.

MAJ 13:52 18 Nov 07

subscription is about €30 a month.

MAJ 10:34 19 Nov 07

Here's the Vodafone offering, tillyfloss12345. click here

tillyfloss12345 14:10 10 Dec 07

hi everyone, thanks for your help. Did lookinto getting the mobile neywork option but advised it would be an unreliable signal in my area. Bought the modem and managed to connect that way. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…