Ethernet -high speed internet problem

sipa 17:02 12 Dec 05

I have an IBM T20 laptop running Windows XP. I have just installed a cable modem for high speed access. I want to connect using the ethernet port on my laptop. After I installed and connected all the parts, I still can't get internet access throught the ethernet port. Couple of quick points.

1) I know that the installation is correct because I also plugged in my neighbor's IBM T42 and had no problem at all accessing the internet.

2) The T42 ethernet has two lights. A green one when the ethernet cable is connected and an orange blinking light when data is flowing. The T20 does not have these lights (as far as I can tell).

My questions are :

1) How do I know that the there actually is an ethernet card in my T20 that is connected to the port. What do I look for in the hardware list.
2) if there is a card , how can I test that it is working. Does the T20 have an internal diagnostic test for the ethernet card.
3) If there is no card/or if its not working, what type of card should I get that fits into the T20.

Thanks for your assistance.

Daveboy 22:09 12 Dec 05

Control panel,network connections-your nic should be listed. Can you ping the router ?

rmcqua 10:00 13 Dec 05

Q1) & Q2)
Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Network Adapters (expand on the + sign), then look for something in the list like ...Ethernet NIC... or ...fast ethernet adapter...
If there is one there, double click on it to bring up device status which will tell you whether the device is working properly.

'Fraid I am not expert enough on laptops to be able to help you with Q3) if you don't find one installed.

wky 11:59 13 Dec 05

well if there is a socket then it should be present, unless the drivers had been removed. So check in device manager first. Another reason may be that it is disabled, so go to control panel and then network connections to see.

mgmcc 12:05 13 Dec 05

<<< 1) How do I know that the there actually is an ethernet card in my T20 that is connected to the port. >>>

If there is an RJ45 ethernet port (not the smaller RJ11 "modem" port), then there will be a network adapter installed. The port wouldn't be there otherwise. In the Network Connections folder, it will appear as the "Local Area Connection".

<<< 2) if there is a card , how can I test that it is working. >>>

Connect it to another computer with a crossover cable or to a router with a straight-wired cable and see if it can see the other network device. You should be able to 'ping' the other device, although you will probably have to allocate IP addresses manually to the network adapters.

<<< 3) If there is no card/or if its not working, what type of card should I get that fits into the T20. >>>

With a laptop, you would use a PCMCIA network card. PC World have an "own brand" PC Line card, which is actually rebadged Realtek hardware. Unlike many PCMCIA adapters this one has the RJ45 port integrated, many cards have a plug-in dongle with the separate RJ45 port and the plugs with these cards are very easily broken.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…