Ethernet crossover cable advice

peterleemaxwell 18:00 PM 19 Dec 11

Can anyone in simple terms, advise the use of an 'Ethernet crossover cable'. Has anyone used this method of joining two PC's together and say what can be achieved? Is it easy to setup? Thanks.

onthelimit1 18:12 PM 19 Dec 11

You just plug each end into the ethernet port of two PCs. You can then use file and printer sharing as you would over a wireless network.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 PM 19 Dec 11

You can totally network two machines, to share files printers external drives et. any that are plugged into one, can be accessed by the other.

Its the same as networking via router without access to the internet

peterleemaxwell 18:32 PM 19 Dec 11

Many thanks for the answers. Best Wishes for Christmas.

peterleemaxwell 09:50 AM 07 Jan 12

Oops. After trying to source an Ethernet crossover cable locally and not being successful I looked on UTUBE and followed the instructions to make one out of a normal cable. It was reasonably easy. Orange/Green solid plus stripe cables 'crossed' over. I thought it would have been a simple procedure. Plug in and swap files just like an external drive or stick. It wasn't, caused all sorts of problems like creating another network which stopped my internet. Had to 'System Restore' to get it back. The two PC's use the O.S. Win 7 and Win XP. Where did I go wrong? Any help appreciated.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…