Ethernet Controller Drivers AAAHHHH!

KimMiller 23:11 30 Jan 09

We had to do a restore using the restore disk that came with our Gateway MX3228 laptop. Upon completion of the restore, our wireless ability has disappeared. It does not show up in Network Connections and the icon is not longer in the tray. In Device Manager, I have a yellow question mark next to Other Devices and under that, a yellow question mark next to Ethernet Controller. (In Properties, The drivers for this device are not installed Code 28) Gateway sent me the link for the drivers, which I downloaded, ran, and installed.(Or so the message box said) I cannot get the Hardware Update Wizard to find the files to I can do what Gateway told me to do. I have Googled this problem and done everything I found there, to no avail. I have even tried putting the files on CD and installing them that way. If anyone can help with this problem, I would be eternally grateful!

birdface 23:41 30 Jan 09

Maybe try this on a cd and see if it helps.
click here its free.

birdface 23:47 30 Jan 09

Sorry ignore that.I would imagine that you may need an internet connection before it would work.Can you connect straight to your modem with an ethernet connection from the modem to the computer.When this is done you should not need the installation cd .And if it still does not connect switch the modem off at the main for 10 seconds and then on again and see if that works.

KimMiller 00:04 31 Jan 09

I can/am connected to the internet with an ethernet cable. I did download the program you suggested and it ran a scan, told me my Ethernet Controller Driver was missing and then wanted money to purchase the "fix". But I definitely know now it is only the ethernet controller that has the problem. Everything else in the scan came back ok.

birdface 00:14 31 Jan 09

Hi.Sorry about that.I don't know what went wrong.it tells you its free.And I have used it for about 3 months now and have never been charged for downloading any drivers.

KimMiller 00:17 31 Jan 09

That's ok...I appreciate so much your trying to help me. I am willing to try ANYHTING at this point! :)

birdface 00:45 31 Jan 09

Maybe try Start.Search.And type in the name of the drivers you downloaded and see if that finds them.Or if gateway sent you the link for the drivers download them.[Dont run them] and save them to my documents or Desktop then you know where they are.And run them from there.

crosstrainer 13:00 31 Jan 09

Please post the make of your wireless card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5