Ethernet connection problems

waynum 14:09 PM 29 Dec 10

Acer Aspire 5532 Windows 7 laptop

When I first switch on in the morning I usually have no Internet connection until I restart a few times, normally two restarts are required, sometimes one.
The modem shows ready and has previously been replaced with a new modem in case the fault had been with the old one.
When I have no Internet connection I have checked the network adapter settings and note that there is no LAN connection showing. Once I do have Internet connection I once again check the network adapter settings and a LAN connection is showing.
I have updated the Atheros driver yet when I do I am informed the newest driver is already installed.
I do not know how to solve this problem, I have carried out Factory Restores yet still the same issue is in effect after I have. Once I have Internet connection there are no problems at all.

Jollyjohn 19:17 PM 29 Dec 10

What Modem are you using and do you have the drivers installed for it?

waynum 20:21 PM 29 Dec 10

The modem is one supplied by Virgin and there were no drivers to install for it.
I think if it were a driver issue I'd still not have any Internet connection after doing a restart.

mgmcc 07:46 AM 30 Dec 10

It sounds as if either the ethernet adapter is faulty or, if isn't an integral part of the motherboard, it isn't seated firmly into its slot.

waynum 09:13 AM 30 Dec 10

Thanks, this seems more likely.
The machine is under warranty and can be returned for repair but before doing this it seemed wiser to do a bit of fishing in case I might have overlooked a possibility.

Jollyjohn 11:56 AM 30 Dec 10

Does the modem have a usb socket - if so disconnect the ethernet and connect a usb cable instead. If all works first time it confirms it is the ethernet adapter as suggested by mgmcc

waynum 16:46 PM 30 Dec 10

No, unfortunately my modem has no USB socket I can use to confirm the ethernet adapter suspicion.
I seem resigned to have to return it to Acer that they can repair the problem as I suspect if I don't I'll end up wishing I had sooner or later.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites