ethernet connection problem

DJ.01 12:03 14 Feb 08

Im not very good with computers but getting there bit by bit :) Im trying to set up my girlfriends computer to a wireless router, which is DSL. From my understanding I plug in the two ethernets cables via modem and router and type in the isp address in the search bar and follow the wizard till its installed.. However when my girlfriends brother first set her pc up the origional ethernet cable was faulty and he set it up with a usb instead somehow, but if I change the usb for the ethernet cable it doesnt detect the connection, what am I doing wrong?

mgmcc 13:56 14 Feb 08

If I understand correctly, you are trying to swap the connection to a Cable Modem from USB to Ethernet?

That being the case, power everything off, including the Cable Modem which must be left without power for three or four minutes - this is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect a network cable between the router's WAN port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet port. Connect a second network cable between the PC's network port and one of the Router's LAN ports. Power on the Cable Modem and, when fully booted with all lights displayed, power on the Router. When the router is fully up and running, boot the PC. The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate a different IP address to it.

If you now type the Router's IP address into your web browser you should be able to open its configuration pages to set it up for wireless networking. You do not need to be connected to the internet to access the router's configuration pages from your web browser.

As far as connecting to the ISP is concerned, "Cable" uses the very basic setting to connect and get its addresses by DHCP. It doesn't use PPPoE and you don't enter a Username/Password. The actual description varies from router to router - most common descriptions are Direct Connection, Dynamic IP or DHCP.

DJ.01 12:23 15 Feb 08

Ill try that and see if it works, I tried just connecting the modem to the computer without the router and it still didnt work with the ethernet, could it be a faulty connection on the modem?

retep888 12:49 15 Feb 08

As mgmcc said, if you change the connection method,you need to power down everything and wait for a few minutes then power back on.
It should work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017