Ethernet Connection Problem

Learalike 12:18 18 Oct 04

Can anyone tell me why I seem to be unable to get a ethernet connection when I connect my cable modem to a wireless router (tried 2 different ones Belkin and DLink). I connect the modem to the PC with ethernet and thats fine but when I try to connect through a router I don`t get any connection at all, and so obviously I can`t set up a wireless Broadband connection. Thanks in advance, Tom

recap 12:24 18 Oct 04

Check the cable type, crossover or straight through?

Learalike 12:25 18 Oct 04

Yes, tried it with both routers

Learalike 12:26 18 Oct 04

According to the manuals it doen`t matter which cables?

easyrider 15:06 18 Oct 04

Is it just a wireless router or is it a wireless router/modem. Going for an all in one would have been better than getting a modem and a router.

Learalike 17:08 18 Oct 04

The modem is a NTL Cable Modem originally using USB connection now using ethernet,it works fine while connected straight to computer, but when i connect the router I don`t get the Eth` light on the modem nor doe`s the WAN light come on the router.

easyrider 17:26 18 Oct 04

If you connect the modem to computer then computer to router youshould be able to set up a wireless broadband connection. I am assuming that you are trying to share your connection.

mosfet 17:35 18 Oct 04

I would reset modem & router, power down everything.Power modem first..let it set...then router..then comp.

Learalike 18:10 18 Oct 04

Going to try both ideas from easyrider and Les2 I`ll be offline again for a while.

Learalike 18:51 18 Oct 04

Tried both ideas,no joy, need to get ready for work now, I`ll try again in the morning, thanks for your input :)

easyrider 19:45 18 Oct 04

Are you conecting the modem to the 98se pc or to the tiny pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…