Ethernet Connection Between ME & XP Computers

webber_man 21:55 07 Nov 03

Hi,

I have a desk top running Win ME and a notebook running XP. I have installed an ethernet card on my desk top and connected them with a crossover cable. I have (as far as i am aware!) run the network wizards correctly - but i am still unable to connect to each pc from the other or connect to the internet using my notebook through my desk top (which has the modem connected).

Can someone please help giving me details of what i need to do - or maybe suggest a sight i can look at that gives a full idiot guide of how i can get this working?

Thanks in advance

graham√ 22:01 07 Nov 03

This is for Broadband, but applies, I think, to all connections click here

webber_man 08:32 08 Nov 03

any ideas?

also, when i activate Internet Connection Sharing on my Win ME host machine that machine can't connect to the internet either!

Im at a loss at what i need to do

slimbo51 08:51 08 Nov 03

I use a prog called ANALOGX proxy server for connecting my 2 comps together.

A Free download on net.

If u follow excellent instructions to the letter I've found it works perfectly every time.

U don't have to mess about trying to use the windows internet sharing s/ware either.

Must add I am on b/band and use 3 ethernet cards.
1 in the slave comp and 2 in the master comp, one of which, in the master is the main link to the net, and the other for sharing to the slave unit.
A x/over cable as yourself completes the setup.

Good Luck on setup.

Kryten 08:56 08 Nov 03

In the Ethernet setup on your XP machine the Protocols for IXP/SPX need to be un-ticked so as the machine only uses Internet Protocols TCP/IP. IXP/SPX Protocols can only be set if all the machines on the network are running Windows XP.

If you do not know how to do this post back and somebody will help.

As for the internet sharing I use a program called PROXY from the download section of this site or click here the documentation with this program will give you all the settings needed to set up the internet sharing.

webber_man 09:38 08 Nov 03

Cheers fir the replies - have downloaded Proxy but am just off out. I'll give it a go when i get back. Fingers crossed!

Cheers again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…