ethernet connection

jaygice 10:37 29 Dec 06

can anyone tell me how i can tell if my ethernet connection is working i know where the plug goes inn there should be lights but there isnt any at all cheers

splatter 10:44 29 Dec 06

Yes, there should really be lights. However, it may not be the Ethernet port itself, it could be a broken cable! Also you won't get lights until both ends of the cable are plugged in to working port.

Try taking the cable to your local computer shop and asking them if they can test it for you. If they're nice they'll do it for free. If it passes then you know that the problem is with one of your [Ethernet] ports.

jaygice 10:51 29 Dec 06

cheers for that

Eric10 11:24 29 Dec 06

Check that it is present in Device Manager under 'Network adapters' and doesn't have a yellow exclamation mark. If it isn't listed and is an onboard ethernet connection and not a separate network card, make sure that it is Enabled in the BIOS.

howard64 11:41 29 Dec 06

1 other thing to check is in the properties for your card. Hardware - device manager - nic - right click properties - advanced. Check that it shows enabled.

jaygice 13:55 29 Dec 06

under device manager iv no exclamation mark under adapters how do i check my card hardware to check it is enabled cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…