Ethernet Cards

Pesala 20:29 26 Jun 04

I've asked someone to order a PCI Ethernet card from Novatech for £5 ex. click here

I have problems with frequent disconnection of my NTL broadband service, so I hope that will fix it.

Is a cheap generic card like that OK and is it just a matter of plugging into a PCI slot, connecting the right cable, and starting up? Anything I need to know before changing from USB to Ethernet?

SEASHANTY 20:53 26 Jun 04

This Medion PC uses a Realtek ethernet card. Here also on NTL BB 600k. Microsoft have issed two driver updates for the Realtek cards over the past few months. A fiver sounds a bit cheap. I would expect a quality ethernet card to sell around £10 - £15. However, Novatech are a reputable firm so it should work. All ethernet cards have a unique 12 character
physical address (MAC ADDRESS) and when you change to this card from USB you may have to re-register with NTL. The cable modem notes the physical address
of the card it is first connected to. That's why if using a router its easier to clone the original mac address into the router to avoid reregistering. As you have previously been connected via USB I am not exactly sure as to the procedure. Maybe someone here will tell you or you may have to ask NTL.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:57 26 Jun 04

Have done this on two computers using NTL problems with USB cable modems.

Just fit the card / cable from modem to card / unistall USB modem drivers/ install drivers (XP will find automatically) /

you shouldn't even need to have to input username etc to NTL.

Never had a connection problem with either comp. since.

Pesala 21:10 26 Jun 04

According to what it says click here

I'll leave this one open until I get the card, and let people know how easy/difficult it was to change over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…