ethernet card wont work

frustrated mick 15:22 13 Oct 07

my 6 year old desktop did not have an ethernet card and i was connected to virgin broadband cable by usb. i have been trying for days now unsuccessfully to get the pc to work with the ethernet card. i get the usual messages 'new hardware found' but get no further when i try to get it to work. the error message keeps coming back 'data invalid'. the ethernet card registers in the device manager but only as 'ethernet card' complete with the yellow exclamation mark in the 'other devices' section not with the cable and firewire cards. i have tried both belkin and netgear ethernet cards and get same result. i have tried disconnecting usb and using ethernet cable only but it will not connect to the internet. i am currently using XP. i do not have any other connection problems. any suggestions kindly accepted.

ambra4 15:23 13 Oct 07

Have you installed the driver for the lan card????

Quiller. 15:55 13 Oct 07

What is the make and model of the ethernet card and which operating system are you running.

Have you tried them in different pci slots, if you have them.

frustrated mick 16:03 13 Oct 07

the card in now is a belkin pci 10/100mbps wired card f5d5000. i have been through the cd set up, and followed the auto prompts created by the pc.

frustrated mick 16:04 13 Oct 07

i am using XP which i upgraded to fom ME months ago. the processor is AMD.

Quiller. 16:07 13 Oct 07

take out the card.

Try and do a system restore to before you first installed the belkin card.

Down load these drivers to the desktop. Create a new folder on the desktop and unzip the drivers to this folder. click here

Install the card and boot to windows, let windows scan for drivers and point to the folder if necessary.

Quiller. 16:09 13 Oct 07

" i am using XP which i upgraded to fom ME months ago. the processor is AMD. "

My mistake, you did mention in your opening post which OS you are using. Those drivers are for XP.:)

frustrated mick 16:38 13 Oct 07

quiller.
thanks for that. tried and failed though. it just keeps taking me round in circles. i had previously tried rolling back the systen a couple of times and the cards been in every slot available. ive moved other cards round to try them all. when i had the netgear card in netgear support had me try everything then concluded that their card did not support AMD! could it be that my system is to old to take it? ita athlon ddr 266mhz motherboard, athlon 1.2ghz ddr cpu.

frustrated mick 20:32 15 Oct 07

Thanks for the link. took me some time to get to the right place in the reg but found it at last. unfortunately, despite changing the permissions, rebooting and loading the disc again, still no joy. still get the error message 'invalid data'. looks like i am going to visit the shops again, via the dumpit!

woodchip 20:37 15 Oct 07

Yellow exclamtion mark Have you clicked on Update driver? and how are you connected to the net at the moment??

mikeben121 21:14 15 Oct 07

Sorry if this sounds silly but you said there was no Ethernet card. Are you sure there is no network port built in on the motherboard?

Ethernet cards are the simplest of things I would expect it to just work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant