Ethernet card install gone wrong

Unplugged 18:37 26 May 03

I am trying to install a Linksys etherfast card in a desktop Win98 SE PC, so that I can link it to an ADSL gateway and have two PCs on the web simultaneously.

From what the Linksys tech support guy said, I think I went wrong by failing to plug my speed touch USB ADSL modem back in to the machine after I had inserted the ethernet card. Apparently this screwed up the drivers. I have tried to tidy up and start again by removing the network entries and the hardware (via control panel, network & system).

With much fiddling, re-booting (mostly in safe mode), crashing, unplugging, re-plugging etc.etc. I did once get the ethernet card to talk to the ADSL gateway at this point a password is required but on entry the machine crashed.

I have unplugged the Ethernet card, the USB Modem, also an integral 56K modem, tried various combinations of hardware in place. The hardware wizard appears to install but the devices do not work. I have variously got windows protection faults and blue screens.

The linksys tech support guy suggested re-installing Windows. Here are my questions:

How do I re-install Win 98(I do have the disk)?
Should I have the devices physically plugged in before re-installing Win 98?

Any help welcome!

Unplugged 14:38 30 May 03

Windows re-installed but still stuffed - will open new topic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…