Ethernet Cable with Wireless

RGB76 15:50 18 Feb 10

Hi all,

My ethernet connection keeps being dissabled and I don`t know why, is having the ethernet cable really necessary or is the Wireless Router alright without it.
My signal strength is excelent, is there any reason why I can`t leave that cable dissabled.

I`m running Vista P/Win 7 dual boot.

Many Thanks

Russell

tullie 16:19 18 Feb 10

Wired or wireless,its up to you.

rizlo29 17:54 18 Feb 10

You can lose connectivity to either Ethernet or wireless.

Ive never used vista yet but it might be same/similar go to cmd.

Try this with Ethernet cable pluged in and wireless off.

On xp its start>>run type cmd press enter. Then type ipconfig/all.

What does it say in the local area section?

Do you have an ip address starting with 192?

Also is dhcp enabled?

Whilst you are on prompt try this.

Ipconfig/all then ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew then reboot, any difference?

RGB76 18:42 18 Feb 10

I`ve found things better without the ethernet cable plugged in, so I think I will stay that way for a while.
Very many thanks to you both.

Russell

rizlo29 21:31 18 Feb 10

OK, but it is always best to have local area connection functioning, so that you can go online if your wireless drop etc.

It really is a few steps to sort it out, especially when you wireless adaptor is connected.

RGB76 11:36 19 Feb 10

Hi rizlo29, I do have local area connection available without having the ethernet cable connected, and everything is running very smoothly now.
Many thanks for your advice which I have saved.

Kind regards

Russell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…