Ethernet Cable in new house build

morrisp 15:43 PM 18 Apr 11

Hi I am in the process of a new house build and all the ceiling joists etc are still open. I want some advice on routing of CAT5e (or similar) ethernet cable.

My broadband enters the house in my office; do I run a cable from my office to each of the rooms where there could be PC usage? ie in my office I would end up with 6 ethernet sockets on the wall, one that connected to each room. Is that correct?

Thanks Peter

wiz-king 16:54 PM 18 Apr 11

Yes you can do it that way or you could use the mains wiring to carry the signal and use a homeplug network, or even go wireless.

Forum Editor 17:48 PM 18 Apr 11

If you decide to go for a CAT5 network, be careful how you run the cables. Avoid any possibility of kinking - don't introduce sharp bends, and don't run the CAT5 in the same conduits as power cables - keep it separated from them.

Be very careful with cable clips - it's easy to pinch the cable, and make sure you get the end plugs wired correctly. click here for more information about wiring the plugs

morrisp 20:45 PM 18 Apr 11

Thanks for that P

bremner 17:32 PM 21 Apr 11

You will need either a six port router or a six port hub fed from your router, not six Ethernet sockets on the wall of your office

powerless 12:54 PM 25 Apr 11

If I had a situation like that I would install a few more than you actually need. In case of failure (never had a cable fail, usually it's the RJ45's that have been crushed) or you want to connect more devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know