Ethernet Cable in new house build

morrisp 15:43 PM 18 Apr 11

Hi I am in the process of a new house build and all the ceiling joists etc are still open. I want some advice on routing of CAT5e (or similar) ethernet cable.

My broadband enters the house in my office; do I run a cable from my office to each of the rooms where there could be PC usage? ie in my office I would end up with 6 ethernet sockets on the wall, one that connected to each room. Is that correct?

Thanks Peter

wiz-king 16:54 PM 18 Apr 11

Yes you can do it that way or you could use the mains wiring to carry the signal and use a homeplug network, or even go wireless.

Forum Editor 17:48 PM 18 Apr 11

If you decide to go for a CAT5 network, be careful how you run the cables. Avoid any possibility of kinking - don't introduce sharp bends, and don't run the CAT5 in the same conduits as power cables - keep it separated from them.

Be very careful with cable clips - it's easy to pinch the cable, and make sure you get the end plugs wired correctly. click here for more information about wiring the plugs

morrisp 20:45 PM 18 Apr 11

Thanks for that P

bremner 17:32 PM 21 Apr 11

You will need either a six port router or a six port hub fed from your router, not six Ethernet sockets on the wall of your office

powerless 12:54 PM 25 Apr 11

If I had a situation like that I would install a few more than you actually need. In case of failure (never had a cable fail, usually it's the RJ45's that have been crushed) or you want to connect more devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11