Ethernet,

Allan RISC OS user 09:50 16 Mar 05

I have two computers connected to my LAN with a cross over cable.
When I set it up it did not matter which computer was turned on first, if it was the Windows XP PC an icon for the LAN would have a red X and a message net work cable unplugged, and as soon as I switched on my other computer (a RiscOS PC) the cross would disappear and a new message "network cable connected" would also be displayed.
Recently I have has to switch on the RiscOS computer first and then the XP PC, other wise the LAN was not recognised by the XP PC. Also if I then switch of the RISC OS PC the windows PC does not see the network cable become 'unplugged' and the LAN does not have a red X over it.
Why is this and how can I set the WindowsXP machine back to how it was and should be.
I assure you it has nothing to do with the RicsOS PC.
looking forward to any help which may come my way. Thanks.

TomJerry 10:04 16 Mar 05

I have similar problem between 2K and XP PCs after installing SP2 on SP.

FelixTCat 11:47 16 Mar 05

One of the two pcs is acting as a DHCP server to dish out IP addresses. If a windows computer isn't one, or cannot find one, it defaults to an IP address starting 169.... If the RiscOS pc defaults to a different address range, the two will not be able to talk.

I sounds as though the RiscOS pc has been the server but a change has happened. Make sure that only one of them (it doesn't matter which) is set up as a DHCP server and the other as a client.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009