ethenet limited connectivity

Haz1994 18:42 30 Jan 08

Hi all

I have a XP desktop and a Vista Laptop. I am connected to AOL via a cable modem. When my modem was ready i connected the ethrnet cable to my desktop but it came up with limited connectivity andunable to to get online. Ot was the saem for Vista. So i tried the other port, the USB port. It worked on the Desktop and miraciously worked on the Vista even though Usb connectivity is unsupported.

It initially starts off at limited connectivity but swtiches to a home connection the internet (1) when i sign into AOL and goes back to limited connectivity when i sign out.

What i want to know is whether there are any wired or wireless USB compatible and not Ethernet as i want to be able to be online at the same time with both PC's. Whther anyone can help me with this terrible situation and whether anyone has had the problem before.

Thankyou for reading this if you have read this far!
I hope someone has a solution as noone from PCWorld NTL or AOL has

Thanks in advance

PS sorry for my sd thread i accidentally submited that. Also this is my first time here so i hope no-one will do anything about that.

ambra4 18:46 30 Jan 08

Just tick the box and click solved for the sd posting

Haz1994 18:52 30 Jan 08

Thanks ambra4 can you give me a solution to my real problem? or anyone else for that matter

ambra4 19:30 30 Jan 08

Trying to understand your problem

You have a cable modem and when you try to connect via the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the computer you get a limited connectivity

If you use the USB port on the modem it work fine

You want to network the desktop PC and the laptop so that both can have access to the Internet

You need to check that the Lan card is setup on both computers is correct

click here

And just check the lan card and network is set up correct

Connect one at a time and get it working first

ambra4 19:39 30 Jan 08

I am now guessing that this is what you want to do

You want the desktop hard wire and laptop wireless or hard wire to have Internet access at the same time.

To do that you need a Cable/DSL Wireless Router go to this posting and take a read

click here

ambra4 12:05 31 Jan 08

Please note the following when changing computers

Power off the Cable Modem, which must be left without power for three or four minutes

This is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connections

(recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect the Ethernet Cable to the desktop or laptop Ethernet Port.

Power on the Cable Modem when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate an IP address to it.

You should now be able to access the Internet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…