Estimating website size

VNAM75 17:15 01 Mar 09

I'm working on my first website usng netobjects. Its basic, with a plain background and some text and links. But it contains a lot of screenshots which are imported jpeg files. These jpeg files total 10-12mb in size and are spread over 5 webpages.

How big will the website be in total size in terms of what a webhost will count as allowance(?)

Who should I use to host this the site? I want a free web host to start with. I was thinking my isp, virgin. Do isp's provide free web space these days?

mark2 20:02 01 Mar 09

I currently have 50mb of free webspace with virgin, your 10-12 mb will take up 10-12mb of the 50mb click here so you can set up your webspace

KimptonComputers 20:05 01 Mar 09

Hi,

Your webpage will take a long time to open, a very long time for some users. This is not good for the user and will ultimately affect your rankings and traffic.

I would suggest that you create some new pages, and move the images to these. Then create links to them on the main page. You can always put NEXT buttons at the bottom of the pages if its a series you need to show. Try and keep the pages as small as possible like we have here, click here

Alternatively, can you not make the images any smaller by saving them as another format such as .gif?

Good luck

VNAM75 21:19 01 Mar 09

masrk2, thanks for the link, very useful.

KimptonComputers, thanks for the advice. I didn't think about page loading times. Some of the pages would be very big. I will add more pages. I'd thought that pages will load as you scroll down rather than load the whole page contents.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…