Essential Start-Up & Running Programs?

dublincity 11:33 13 Mar 05

I'm on XP Pro and I've got a lot of 'Start Up Managers' but tend to use WinPatrol mostly and WinTools Pro occasionally. They're both effective and user-friendly.

I never change 'Running Programs' 'cause I don't understand any of 'em. I recently found the XP list and spotted that Windows Running Programs were marked 'Manual', 'Automatic' or 'Disabled'. I've no idea whether or not all should be enabled?

After trial and error, I don't allow ANY start-up programs EXCEPT anti-virus, firewall and a few spyware barriers and monitors. Occasionally, some Windows program inserts itself and I just remove it from the menu.

I've got a lot of minor problems (can't change font style in OE, can't change text size in IE, can't make message boxes bigger etc.) - can anybody tell me if there are any Windows programs that I SHOULD allow to be in the Start Up Menu and if so, how do I do it? Many Thanks.

dagwoood 11:39 13 Mar 05

dublincity, click here for a list of what services you need/may need on start up.

HTH, dagwoood.

bluesbrother 11:56 13 Mar 05

If you are not sure about a process or .dll have a look here. click here

dublincity 14:30 13 Mar 05

Thanks for the links - I have a lot of studying to do

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…