Essential to download updates for XP(SP2)?

dune3 11:15 27 Jun 06

Hello there, computer boffins, is it absolutely essential to download all updates for XP(SP2) as they come along (from Do the workings of the pc improve speed-wise or otherwise? I mean apart from anything else it's murder on the hard-drive space-wise! Please advise on what I should download & what isn't necessary, for standard day-to-day internet cruising, not including security & firewall as I have those.
Awaiting your responses,

silverous 11:25 27 Jun 06

...why are you updating at all?

MS usually, if I recall correctly, splits the updates up (if you go to windows update website) into critical and optional. Obviously the optional ones are just that....

The critical ones you can review and take an assessment as to whether you think they affect you or just download and install the lot. They are critical for a reason, and not installing them could leave you vulnerable to something so it is your call. If hard disk space is that much at a premium it might be time for a new hard disk!

Belatucadrus 11:30 27 Jun 06

Most Microsoft critical updates are security patches, so if you use the internet, it's safest to install them.
Do the workings of the PC improve, no. But web surfing with unpatched security exploits isn't a good idea.
If space is an issue, then if the update has been installed smoothly and is running as designed, you may want to get rid of the restore points click here Remove Hotfix backup, clears out the backups and uninstal entries without deleting the updates themselves.

Stuartli 11:34 27 Jun 06

If you select, from WindowsUpdate configuration in the Security Center, the option to Always Ask what to Install you can review the various updates issued.

By clicking on each listed update a description is provided of its purpose - check the ones you wish to install and leave the rest unchecked.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:00 27 Jun 06

Most of the updates are mainly for networks and you could do without them but you might as well update. I would get rid of the hotfix uninstallers by using Ccleaner click here and ensuring that theis option is enabled in the list as it is not by default.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…