Errors re. System32/Autoexec.nt in Windows XP

nigelo 10:51 02 Jan 05

I am running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed.

I have been receiving the following error when attempting to install older programs: "16 bit Windows Subsystem C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications"

I have tried the fix suggested by J3nks in a previous thread. This involved copying the Autoexec.nt file from the i386 folder, pasting it into the System32 folder and making it read only and hidden.

However, I now receive the following error message:
"The Win16 subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH"

I am only a layman and am very frustrated and confused. Microsoft's Support site only makes me more baffled.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:36 02 Jan 05
  nigelo 11:55 02 Jan 05

Thanks for the link, but this error is occuring when I try to install software, not run it.

What does all this talk about "program's .pif file" mean?

Still confused!

ACOLYTE 11:57 02 Jan 05

You could try this click here

Xp fix .exe dload and save then run it.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 12:15 02 Jan 05
  nigelo 17:51 02 Jan 05

Thanks, Acolyte. Can that download be trusted. I've never heard of "Visualtours". Sorry, I'm probably being over-cautious!

ACOLYTE 18:04 02 Jan 05

lots have used it for the same error, i have to say though with mixed results.

ACOLYTE 18:05 02 Jan 05

Sorry i wouldnt tell you to download it if i thought it would do harm,maybe wait and see what other people have to say.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:38 02 Jan 05

Xp fix .exe recommended and used by several people on the forum with no ill effects.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…