Errors installing AVG & Zone Alarm

HIT any key 14:40 12 Dec 04

I have previously used NIS 2004 on XP Pro SP1+. This has now reached expiry and, looking at much of the advice on this forum, I decided to try AVG and Zone Alarms.

The AVG (7.296a build 409) starts to install but then comes up with the message :-

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:

Error: Action failed for file avg7core.sys: starting service....

The system cannot find the file specified. (2)

I have NIS diasbled and the DSL connection is closed. SPYBOT is disabled.

I have very little better luck with Zone Alarm. I have downloaded the Free Version but, during the install, I took the suggested option of the 15 day trial of ZA pro in order to get automatic configuration. Everthing seems to install OK but I get the message "System Error:Please Reboot" no matter how many times I reboot or uninstall / install.

I am not sure if this is a conflict with NIS but I am reluctant to deinstall this until I have something else in place as I get frequent Trojan Sub-Seven attacks that are blocked by NIS.

Technotiger 15:37 12 Dec 04

Hi, the Free versions of both AVG and ZA are very good, I use these all the time without problems. I would suggest getting a PC Magazine disk with these programmes on it to load from the disk. You could then of course do that off-line.

Technotiger 15:39 12 Dec 04

ps: I would advise NOT to try the Trial Version of ZA, it is just a niusance having to click on it each time you start up; not that there is anything wrong with it though. Cheers.

PhiltheFragger 15:46 12 Dec 04

Have you tried installing any other programs.

If you have trouble doing this, then Windows installer could be up the shute.

You may need to reload windows.

Conversely, you may have a virus or spyware on your machine, Get Adaware and use one of the AV sites to scan your puter IE Norton

HIT any key 21:42 12 Dec 04

Technotiger

I have downloaded the latest versions from the vendor web sites and have stored these to disk. This is the equivalent of getting a Magazine disk except I am getting the latest versions. I then installed offline (with NIS & NAV disabled). I also had SPYBOT disabled during the install. There is no way I would go online without an active firewall and AV package.
I planned to install the free version of ZA but, on the basis of an installation tip, I opted for the trial version to get automatic configuration. I can switch back to the free version & keep the configuration.

PhiltheFragger

Other programs install fine & I am as convinced as I can be that I do not have a virus or spyware. My NAV & NIS are only out of maintenance today and are currently upto date and reporting no errors. I also run SPYBOT and do not engage in unprotected computing or casual relationships with unknown sites.

My feeling is that this is some conflict with NIS 2004 - even though it was disabled. The only other slightly unusual thing is I use Firefox as my main browser. If I could be certain it was the NIS conflict I would be happy but I dont want to throw away what I have until I get something else that works.

Any other advice would be welcome?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant