Error Writing To Drive C

sam101 12:59 10 Nov 03

I received an message stating "Error Writing To Drive C" several times and rebooted. My system went straight into Scandisk and completed the standard scan disk with out finding any errors. After that I got an error message saying that the windows registry file needed repairing and the system would need to reboot. After rebooting I continued to get the "Error Writing To Drive C" messahe and then lost my mouse. On rebooting again it got as far as the windows me splash page and then the screen went blank and hung. Any ideas please?

xania 13:09 10 Nov 03

Sounds to me that your system has become corrupt. I don't think you have a hardware problem, but may well need to reinstall Windows to get going again. Try loading up Windows in Safe mode first then run SFC (I think that's still live in ME) to see if that resolves anything. If that fails, try reinstalling over the top - this can save quite a biot of effort and amend most corruptions - but not all. If that fails, I'm afraid you will have to re-format C:\ and start from scratch.

NB:

If you have any unsaved data on your C:\ drive, make sure you back it up at the first opportunity.

spikeychris 13:14 10 Nov 03

Unfortunately SFC doesn't work with ME.

Have you tried starting your computer in MS-DOS mode? restart with the Windows Millennium Startup disk and using scanreg /restore. You will have a list to choose from.

You could try a system restore without opening Windows...
Start the machine by using the Windows Me Startup disk.
At the Startup menu, choose Minimum Boot.

At the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini,
press enter.

Edit the shell= line so that it looks like this:
shell=progman.exe

Press ALT+F, and then press S to save the changes to the System.ini file.

Press ALT+F, and then press X.

Remove your Windows Me Startup disk, and then restart .

When the machine restarts, Program Manager should start.

On the File menu, click Run, type msconfig in the Command Line box, and then press enter. Click Launch System Restore and go back .

If edit c:\windows\system.ini, comes back with invalid command
type this instead.
c:\windows\command\edit c:\windows\system.ini

spikeychris 13:17 10 Nov 03

Ignore the last part of the post ie: "c:\windows\system.ini"...just type "c:\windows\command\edit" if the first one fails........

sam101 13:19 10 Nov 03

The pc tried to go into safe mode but didn't complete - it hung at the point just after my desktop was loaded. Unfortuneately since then on the reboot it didn't get that far so I am unable to backup any data.

Whilst I'm on this point - I have to be honest and admit I have never done any backup as when I tried I couldn't find backup under the system tools option. When I rang Mesh they told me that that was correct - as I didn't purchase ME but got it as an OS when I bought the new pc I only had a limited version of the OS that did not include backup - can anyone verify that for me as it sounds completely crasy!

Thanks a lot

Rtus 13:36 10 Nov 03

Mesh presumably provided a system recovery disk when you bought it ?

sam101 13:42 10 Nov 03

Yes they did, unfortunately I can't find it in my computer box - waiting for my flatmate to get back from holiday to find out what he's done with it.

Rtus 13:42 10 Nov 03

If So Do you have partition magic floppies handy.Idea being Create another Partition Hiding your original (that with your Data on it ) Then install O/S from recovery disc .use Pm again and unhide the hidden partition you should then be able to access the data on the corrupt partition save what you need & then remove that partition & expand new partition to use as before..Then buy Drive image or the likes to make Recovery image the way you want your machine & programs set..

Rtus 13:45 10 Nov 03

do you have the windows me start-up disc (floppy)Y/N ?

spikeychris 13:51 10 Nov 03

Could of sworn I'd posted a possible answer??

Rtus 14:02 10 Nov 03

sam101's 13:19 post I read to be She had tried your suggestion .....However I wont intrude again ..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…