error in windows Millenium. please help

herc182 15:56 12 Dec 04

Dear all,

i get two error messages in windows millenium that says the following:

"Explorer has caused an error in unknown>. explorer will now close. if you continue to experience problem, try restarting your computer"

"Explorer has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL.explorer will now close. if you continue to experience problem, try restarting your computer"

This seems to happen all the time and whenever i close a window in windows (eg windows explorer, my computer...any window).

any ideas how to solve this. it also seems to close some programs down running in the startup (which have always been there and never had a problem with, such as webshots, bay manager, and something else (cant remember as it has closed down again!)).

any ideas?

Technotiger 16:03 12 Dec 04

Hi, I would suggest a Restore -or- Reinstall ME (over the present Installation). Cheers.

herc182 16:25 12 Dec 04

hmmm, i hope there is something more subtle than a restore or complete reinstallation....

thanks. any other ideas?

It's Me 17:00 12 Dec 04

Having used ME in the past, I would say there will be no subtle fix. I learnt to always have a 'Ghost' Image available, which I kept up to date, fortnightly, for things like this.

When I needed it 'restore rarely worked!

Oh the joy of ME, and do I miss it now I have XP. Yes like a hole in the head.

bremner 17:08 12 Dec 04

If this is a recent problem why not use system restore to revert to a time before the problem occured.

herc182 17:20 12 Dec 04

yes it is a recent thing. and the computer still works after this message pops up. its just that it closes a few things down from the startup. and the pop up doesnt come up all the time, maybe twice?

Mango Grummit 20:02 12 Dec 04

Kern.32. can crash if something is still trying to run when explorer is trying to close. Or just simply your registry has become a tad mucky and disorganised.

Most often it is caused following the deletion of a programme where something has been left in the registry. But not just programmes, sometimes deleting, say, a notepad or word file can do this. It is not peculiar to WinMe either.

To prevent this occurrence it is a good idea to give the registry a good clean once a week at least and certainly straight after deleting a programme.

But it is not too late to start now -- Suggest you use RegSeeker first of all, then defrag and run RegSeeker once more... Try that and see if your message has gone.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:37 12 Dec 04

Repair Internet Explorer explanation
click here

Alternate fix to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows 2000:

From the Start menu, choose Run.

In the Run window, type rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINNT\IE Uninstall Log.Txt" Note: The command is case-sensitive.

Click the OK button.

Click the Repair Internet Explorer option.

Click the Yes button to complete the repair.

Restart the computer when you are prompted and allow the computer to configure Microsoft Internet Explorer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…