error using recovery disk

Kingfisher0_3 03:35 05 Dec 04

Hi,
I have installed a new hd in my nec dimension 866sp using win98se. I have fdisked + formatted the drive from the recovery cd but I cannot install windows as i get a dos error from the cd saying invalid drive =0 . I have also tried running the recovery cd's setup.exe file from dos and it gives me the same error.
Would appreciate anyone's help

Thanks

Djohn 04:15 05 Dec 04

The recovery disk will be tied to the original drive Kingfisher0_3. The information required to install your O/S and other applications/drivers etc is on a hidden partition of the original drive, the CD only gives access to this partition.

Do you still have the original drive, unformatted? If not and you don't have a separate 98se CD then you may have to purchase a new Operating CD. [XP or 98se] If you still have the original drive then place this back in the PC and use your recovery CD to return it to its original state when first bought. From there we may be able to extract the i386 folder to install windows on your new drive.

You will need to make a note of all your drivers for sound/graphics/modem unless you have these on a separate disk then download them from the appropriate website and save them to a CD prior to installing the new drive.

Please post back to let us know what stage your at and we may be able to help further.

Kingfisher0_3 12:26 15 Jan 05

All,
Problem solved. I contacted NEC computers customer services. it turns out because the hard disk was replaced my machine need to be re-tattood
to allow the recovery disk to recognise my machine as valid.

Thanks NEC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…