Error reading A: drive

Elrond 17:58 13 Mar 03

My dad's pc is a few years old Packard Bell Club 50 with win98 SE. A few days back, an error of some sort occured while watching a dvd on it. So i popped around to have a look. The PC started up and would not get into windows as some files had been corrupted or were missing. Anyway, as I pretty much cover all the maintainence on the PC I thought it was due a reformat and re-install instead of correcting or extracting the files to the system to repair it. So I put in the recovery floppy and got into the recovery dialogue. Put the first recovery cd in as requested and selected a reinstall to factory condition. Everything started fine it reformatted the drive I think. The pc then restarted it started to read from the floppy drive and then another error occured(error reading from drive A:), halting the installation. So I turned the PC off and tried the recovery process again. However, I cant get into the recovery dialogue anymore as when the system reads the A: drive I keep gettin the same error message. Any thoughts. Thanks for your time

Djohn 18:13 13 Mar 03

It may be a faulty disk, or the drive itself is about to give up. If possible borrow, or use your floppy drive to try and install the O/S back to your dad's PC. J.

Elrond 19:17 13 Mar 03

I tried my floppy drive and no joy. There are to recovery setup floppies and neither will work.

Elrond 20:15 13 Mar 03

DieSse 20:26 13 Mar 03

Try another floppy drive.

DieSse 20:27 13 Mar 03

Sorry misread your earlier post - so am now a bit confused at to what combinations do and don't work.

Elrond 10:24 14 Mar 03

No combinations work. I put my floppy drive in my dads machine and still the error messages. I've used both the recovery floppies supplied and still the same error message and a win98 startup floppy still produces the error.

DieSse 10:35 14 Mar 03

Maybe his system has decided to damage any floppy put into it - a few tests should ascertain this.

DieSse 10:37 14 Mar 03

Or maybe there's a cable or motherboard/CMOS problem. Check the BIOS setting for floppy drive type.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 10:44 14 Mar 03

Can you boot from cd instead of floppy,and miss out the floppy all together or do you need files of the floppy.

cheapskate2k 10:48 14 Mar 03

I was under the impression that win 98 would install from cd. Well mine certainly did when i did it a few months back. Surely the files should be available off the internet to create new recovery disks if all else fails?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…