Error messages - invalid images

JackyPat 08:19 20 Mar 11

Keep getting multiple similar messages on boot up and then repeated when I try to open any new programme

The application or DLL c:\PROGRAM~1\Sophos\SOPHOS~1\SOPHOS~1.DLL is not a valid Windows Image. Please check against installation diskette.
Can anyone help please?

Taff™ 08:23 20 Mar 11

Sounds like your antivirus software. Is that Sophos by any chance? If so check that your subscription hasn`t expired and then perhaps remove it, reboot and reinstall it.

JackyPat 08:32 20 Mar 11

No don't have Sophos, used to but has been uninstalled

Ashrich 08:54 20 Mar 11

Download and run Ccleaner , it'll get rid of whatever was left behind .

Ashley

JackyPat 09:04 20 Mar 11

Thankyou. Ashley can you post a link to Ccleaner please

ashdav 09:08 20 Mar 11

click here
Download the slim version. No toolbar to install.

JackyPat 09:12 20 Mar 11

Bit worried I might delete something I shouldn't, what do I do to solve my problem?

Taff™ 12:09 20 Mar 11

Open CCleaner and on the left select the blue toolbox. In the second column there are 4 tabs and the Uninstall is the first one. Check if there are any Sophos products left on the system. If so click on it and select "Run Uninstaller" at the top right. Repeat as necessary.

Then choose the second tab in the second column - Start Up. Look for the entry for Sophos, select it and click on remove.

Whislt you are there disable any other programs you don`t need at start up. (You can re-enable them if necessary.)

Now go to the blue registry icon. At the bottom select scan for issues". When it gets to 100% select "Fix Issues" When prompted save a copy of the registry to a location on your drive. (I use a folder called "Registry Backups". Then complete the operation.

Lastly go to the blue CCleaner (Brush) icon and at the bottom right click the "Run Cleaner" icon. Ignore the message about permanently removing stuff - this is a pretty mild cleaner and I`ts never let many of us down on this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5