Error messages on bootup

avesnes1 10:27 AM 05 Nov 11
Answered

When booting XP professional on 3 year old PC, the following messages appear:- "02B0: Diskette drive A error"

"CPU has been changed"

This problem started when CPU battery failed. Having replaced the battery, the messages still appear. Bootup continues normally when F1 pressed as prompted by the screen.

Grateful for members' comments/guidance. Thanks in advannce for any advice.

avesnes1

gengiscant 10:52 AM 05 Nov 11

Because you have replaced the CMOS battery the BOIS settings have been reset. The diskette drive error is probable referring to a non-existent floppy drive, so you will need to disable the floppy in the BIOS. Not sure about the CPU has changed gain it will be a BIOS problem but a minor one.

What is your make/model of motherboard? and I'll see if I can have a look at the user manual.

avesnes1 11:41 AM 08 Nov 11

gengiscant, Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay. The problem is on my brother-in-law's machine and I've had to wait for him to download and run the Belarc software that generates all the information about his machine. This he has now done and he has liasted the following:-

Following your advice, I loaded Belarc and the main circuit board is:

Board: FUJITSU SIEMENS D2660-A1 S26361-D2660-A1 Serial Number: B056B843 BIOS: FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 6.00 R1.02.2660.A1 06/26/2007

It also mentioned under controllers :

Standard floppy disk controller Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0 Primary IDE Channel [Controller] Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Regards and thanks again for any guidance.

avesnes1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 PM 08 Nov 11

reboot enter setup (BIOS)

select Load Default (or safe) settings

Save and exit (F10)

avesnes1 15:03 PM 12 Nov 11
Answer

Just to complete this posting. I sent the suggestions from gengiscant and FruitBat to my brother-in-law and he has emailed me to say:-

"Thanks for that. I selected default settings, saved them etc and it didn't make any difference. However, I had another look at the various bits in BIOS and it duly showed the diskette drive A - 1.4mb. There is an option to change the size of the diskette so I thought I would fool the machine by putting it to zero. It turned out that this wasn't an option but while trying, the option for "diskette - none" appeared. Having selected this, the problem is no more.

Everything boots perfectly now.

Thanks again for your trouble."

Thanks again, gengiscant and FruitBat, for your replies.

avesnes1

gengiscant 15:25 PM 12 Nov 11

Glad its sorted.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 review: Hands on with the £239 OnePlus Two '2016 flagship killer'

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…