Error messages on booting up on Windows 98

Glass 17:27 05 Feb 03

On first booting up 6 error messages appear:
C;\7C;\WINDOWS\1s1.com.
Bad command or file name.
C:\7C;\WINDOWS\NETSTART
Invalid value for binding specified.
Error loading device driver NDISHLP.SYS.
Error 7323:one or more network transport
drivers failed to load.
Error cannot find LSL
ODI/NDIS3 MAPPER:Initialisation failure

Gongoozler 17:43 05 Feb 03

Glass, has this just started happening and did you install some software just before it happened?

There appears to be a command in DOS calling for some files in a folder 7C. NDISHLP is the help file for NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification).

I suspect these are all being called for from C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT, so if you can edit to add a REM at the start of the lines calling for them you may be able to get Windows to install. If you can't get Windows to open you will have to do the editing in DOS.

Glass 20:03 05 Feb 03

Thanks for reply Gongoozler, I think they started
when I tried to get rid of some annoying"borders"
to do with network that appeared on the desktop.
(I am not linked to any other computers)
The last message is "press any key to continue"
so I can get into windows OK, but dont know how to edit REM into the messages, as you suggest.
More help needed please.

Gongoozler 09:06 06 Feb 03

Hi Glass. Open Notepad, then File C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT. Save C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT as C:\AUTOEXEC.OLD. Then edit any lines that look suspicious by adding the REM before any entries. Don't worry too much if you get it wrong, if you do you will only affect DOS commands that Windows doesn't need anyway. Save the file as C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT, and close Windows ands reboot. If all is well, you can edit C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT again to remove the offending lines completely. If you get into a complete mess with the editing you can always open C:\AUTOEXEC.OLD in Notepad and save it as C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT, thereby restoring the previous version of C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT.

If you are still uncertain, just copy your C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file and post it here, or paste it into an e-mail to me (not as an attachment), and I'll see if I can make sense of it.

Gongoozler 20:16 09 Feb 03

Autoexec has been modified to

rem \1st.com

rem \net start

rem \cwcdata\cwcdos.exe

rem \odihlp.exe

The error messages are still the same.

Config.sys is empty.

Win.ini, System.ini and Protocol.ini (checked via SYSEDIT) have no reference to any of the files mentioned in the errors in the first posting.

Glass, try this one. Open Windows Explorer, and then Tools - Find - Files or Folders. In the box labeled "Containing text", write 1s1.com. Then ensure that in the box labeled "Look in" you have (C:), and that the Include subfolders box is ticked. Then click on the "Find Now" button is ticked. Let me know if the search finds any files and what the relevant line is. Repeat the search for "Containing text" NDISHLP.SYS and again for NDIS3 MAPPER.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Stuartli 20:45 09 Feb 03

Windows Error Messages, Troubleshooter etc can be found here:

click here

Or key the error message(s) into google.

Gongoozler 20:53 09 Feb 03

I searched for "Invalid value for binding specified" in Google, and found these words:-

"Your next problem is related to networking. Since, there is a system entry for starting the network, because of which you are getting this problem. If you don't have the network installed in your system, write REM in front of the entry in the Autoexec.bat file and this will prevent Windows from loading the Network on your system. From the description of your problem it also appears that the driver for network adapter is also corrupt. For correcting it, you must either uninstall the Network adapter or reinstall the driver correctly."

Does that sound familiar?

Glass 09:27 12 Feb 03

Thanks Gongoozler this problem at last resolved

Gongoozler 09:56 12 Feb 03

Hi Tony. I'm pleased to see that we got there in the end.

For the benefit of anyone who may have been following this thread, adding REM to the AUTOEXEC.BAT lines did the job, but the lines were displayed during boot-up. To prevent this, it is possible to either delete the lines from AUTOEXEC.BAT, or add the line ECHO OFF before them. ECHO OFF tells AUTOEXEC.BAT not to display what it is doing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…