Error messages - any idea how to stop?!

so3003 10:03 20 Nov 03

Having formatted c: and reinstalled Windows, Office etc earlier this week, whenever I start Windows I now get 4 separate error messages telling me that I have the following missing files, which my system.ini or registry refer to.

vnetsetup.vxd
vredir.vxd
dfs.vxd
msnp32.dll

System seems to be running fine other than these messages, so ideally I'd just like to get rid of them. Any ideas?

Scott

SGT BARNES 10:06 20 Nov 03

easiest way to get rid of the messages..........

get hold of these files and make sure they are on your pc.

if your pc was running fine then you wouldnt get error messages

so3003 10:07 20 Nov 03

Where would I find the files though?!

SGT BARNES 10:15 20 Nov 03

do a search on the net for them

Gongoozler 10:24 20 Nov 03

so3003, I think I got this problem on a computer rebuild I did recently. My memory these days is only slightly better than that of a goldfish, but if I am remembering these file names correctly, what happened is that the motherboard (a Syntax SV266A) had onboard LAN. I hadn't disabled this in BIOS, so when I installed Windows 98se, Windows loaded the drivers for the LAN. After fighting for some time to get the onboard LAN working, I eventually gave up and reformatted the hard drive, disabled onboard LAN in BIOS (and the onboard modem that the motherboard didn't have anyway) and from then everything went smoothly. If you want to put in the missing files, the best way is via Start - Run - sfc - "Extract one file from installation disk", and get the files from the Windows cd.

Taff36 10:35 20 Nov 03

Try this - I found it here: click here

It either works or not in your case but it will only take a few minutes to check out - good luck !

Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
Click the Windows Setup tab.
Click the box to clear the Communications check box.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

You may be prompted to insert the Windows installation CD at this point.
When you are prompted to restart Windows, do so.

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
Click the Windows Setup tab, and then click the Communications checkbox. Make sure the checkbox for Communications does not have a grey background. You may need to click the check box a second time in order to change it to a white background with a checkmark.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

You may be prompted to insert the Windows installation CD at this point to copy the files over to the hard drive.
you may be prompted to restart Windows.

so3003 11:59 20 Nov 03

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I restored the msnp32.dll from Windows CD (didn't know that sfc.exe application existed), which removed its error message. Then tried removing and restoring all the Communications programs from Windows - this removed another error message.

Finally I found an article on Microsoft support which talked through removing and restoring Client for Microsoft Networks within the networking control panel, and that resolved the rest :-)

Seems it was probably an error caused by my reinstalling a cable modem - knew I shouldn't have phoned the helpdesk! ;-)

Thanks again guys
Scott

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…