ERROR MESSAGES

geedad 21:03 25 Oct 06

I am experiencing a problem with my applications where I am being presented with the following:
Epson Smart Panel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Subsequent dialog boxes go through a host of inexplicable 0s and Xs etc which for me are utterly impossible for me to interpret.
Where I have indicated that on THIS occasion Epson Smart Panel is the culprit, it is happening with many other applications such as Microsoft Word, different games, but the PC is still usable after clicking either Cancel or Debug ( whatever that's supposed to do ) and I can then sometimes use the same program. Usually, I do a restart fearing a bug of some kind.

Windows Xp Home. Sp2. 3GHz Intel Pentium 4 HT. ATI Radeon 9200 with 128 MB DDR SDRAM. HDD 160 GB.

I use NTLs AV, Firewall and AntiSpyware, which updates regularly.
geedad

woodchip 21:09 25 Oct 06

First thing first. If you have a full XP cd not a Restore CD put the CD in Computer, then in Start\Run type

SFC /SCANNOW just like you see it. press enter key

VoG II 21:11 25 Oct 06

Start, Run, type

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may be asked to insert your XP CD.

geedad 21:49 25 Oct 06

woodchip and VoG™
I only have a CD supplied with the Sony PC and not a stand-alone Windows XP Home CD. I DO, however have the separate Sp2 update CD.
However, I can recall that I have tried the suggested scan, which revealed er.... nothing!
.... this was suggested by the good Forum members, and I am still looking for an answer to this annoying problem.
geedad

VoG II 21:50 25 Oct 06

Borrow an XP CD and try it.

geedad 22:44 10 Nov 06

woodchip
VoG™
Sorry about delay in responding. The problem seems to have been eradicated following instalation and running of Lavasoft Ad-Aware software.
So it could have been some kind of spy-ware. Thanks for your suggestions and help.
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…