Error message while installing sofware program on

Namlod 09:57 30 Dec 10

I can no longer install any software/update/upgrade on my WIN7 x64 OS.
The install proceeds almost to completion when I receive the following:
"An error occurred while attempting to create directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu"
There is a 'Retry' and 'Cancel' box; if I try 'Retry' I receive the same message repeated, and have to cancel the install.
I have searched the Microsoft website and elsewhere; although this error is reported on both WinXP and 7 there does not seem to be a guaranteed solution, except a complete re-install of the OS! That is simply not a satisfactory option, surely?
I have tried installing as 'Administrator' (which I am anyway as sole user of the PC); I have tried installing in Safe Mode, each has the same 'error' end result. I have tried 'restore' to the earliest available 'restore' point - same result.
Can anyone please suggest a 'fix', or 'workround' this shambles? Thanks.
IanL

northumbria61 10:35 30 Dec 10

Have you tried to disable User Account control and see if that makes a difference when you try to install a program?

If not, then try a SFC (System File Checker) scan to see if you have any corrupt system files.
Click Start
Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
Click 'Run as Administrator'
At the Command Prompt, type: sfc/scannow

This will check for any integrity violations and fix any corrupted operating system files.

Restart your system

Namlod 11:48 30 Dec 10

Thanks. I Disabled User a/c control, re-booted, then ran SFC /scannow with no problems found.
Tried installing the latest version of Safari for WIN7, as Administrator - and got exactly the same error message/result.
In the past, I have also created a new admin a/c and tried to use this to install (as suggested as a fix on the web) but had no change to the error message.
I have been using Spamfighter for many months without problem. It stopped working. I uninstalled and downloaded latest version, and tried fresh install - same error....
My Netbook running XP has no problems with Safari or Spamfighter.
Clearly, this is a well reported problem with both XP and 7 from my research on the Internet, but as I said, there does not seem to be a definitive solution to the error.

Namlod 10:22 31 Dec 10

I appear to have resolved this problem..... but not sure why!
Method:
1. Located C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu (Show Hidden Files, in Windows Explorer)
2. Right clicked folder (Start Menu)
3. Click Security tab
4. Click Advanced tab (at bottom right)
5. Click Add
6. Typed in Everyone
7. Click Apply, then OK
8. Exit
I have now installed Safari without any problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…