error message trying to open webmail

mco 18:48 17 Nov 05

I got this tonight when trying to open my webmail (of my own site, on Lycos)

Error opening ../data/default_pref
Could not create initial preference file!
/data/members/paid/p/r/prestonrespect.org/webmail should be writable by user mmp
Please contact your system administrator and report this error.

Could anyone tell me if this is a fault with ME or with the webhosting company? Thanks

octal 19:31 17 Nov 05

My site is also hosted by Lycos and I'm able to access my web mail OK. Are you able to access the site? If you can it looks like its likely to be a problem on the site rather than the host. Does anyone else have an email on the site? If they do you could try asking them.

You could try deleting your cache just in case its your end, but I don't think it is.

mco 19:37 17 Nov 05

It appears to be online. I just tried to edit my site though,and couldn't publish it - it asked me to try again later.Early today I got a maintenance message saying all sites beginning with m n p or q (mine's a P!) would be offline and hopefully sorted by 11 am this morning - whether that might have a bearing I don't know? If they are still working on the named sites. I'll go and try on a different computer. I tried various of the site email addresses on this one; none of them works.

mco 19:40 17 Nov 05

No - it didn't work on a different computer here either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…