error message system has no paging file

off roader 20:33 21 Aug 03

Can anyone please help . I am running win xp home.I have followed all the Microsoft articles relating to this fault and can still not set the paging file . My system also will not restore to any earlier restore points . I have not added or changed any software/hardware . IS there a system utility like sfc in win 98 which I could use to check for missing or corrupt files ?. Any ideas would be very welcome .

thms 20:52 21 Aug 03

Go to help and support. Type in search "paging file". You will be given a detailed account on how to change your paging file.

As for system restore. To reactivate it you will need to switch it off, reboot then switch it back on again. Remember you will lose all you previous restore points.

Yes you can run sfc /scannow in the run command box. You will need your xp disc resdy.

hugh-265156 20:53 21 Aug 03

pop your windows disc in the cd drive and click start the click run and type sfc /scannow

to set your paging file in: control panel/system/advanced/performance/settings/advanced/virtual memory/change and click custom size.

set the min and max values to around one and a half to two times your installed ram,ie/set both to 512 if you have 256 ram or there abouts.

after typing in the values click set and ok.

you may need to restart the computer.

off roader 21:17 21 Aug 03

Thanks for the ideas . I have tried to set the paging file many times, each time I reboot it is still 0 .As for the restore problem I have run the troubleshooter and it is active and working normally . I cannot run the sfc/scannow command , even a search of the win xp disk finds nothing .

thms 11:13 22 Aug 03

When typing sfc /scannow there should be a space between the c and /.

System restore is not infalable. Type in system restore in search at the top of the page and you will find numerous problems.

When you are entering your values do you click the set button? If you do not it will not change the settings.

JoeC 11:30 22 Aug 03

click here

It describes a problem with the page file when you have, for example, certain Intel chipsets. It may help but there again it might not !! Worth a look though. : }

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…