Error message at startup

pomerian 21:13 14 Aug 10

My daughter's computer running XP professional 64 bit has started showing the following on startup :- No startup URL for download. But she is not trying to download anything. Tried to do a system restore but that has stopped working saying it cannot restore no matter which restore point we try. Anyone any ideas please

rdave13 21:21 14 Aug 10

Looks like your security software has got rid of a bug. Can you log in to an account?

pomerian 22:14 14 Aug 10

yes, the computer works fine once you have closed the message it's just a bit annoying to having to do that every time she it starts up.

woodchip 22:48 14 Aug 10

type msconfig in the run box, press enter key and go to start tab check to see if one of the boxes point to the error, if it does, remove the tick in the box and restart pc

woodchip 22:50 14 Aug 10

PS the Message is most likely generated by the Registry, Try to make a note of exact words of message as you can do a search of the registry and delete it. Its easy to do as long as you get the message correctly

rdave13 23:21 14 Aug 10

Download Ccleaner. A good search engine will find it. Piriform.
Make sure you have records of all of your log in passwords then close any browsers. Run Ccleaner in it's default state. Then run the registry cleaner using the registry link to the left.
Reboot the PC and see if you get the message again.

pomerian 12:09 15 Aug 10

The exact message is:-
No startup URL for Download
tried misconfig not sure what I'm looking for but there is nothing which says that.
typed the message into search box but it didn't find it. Is there some special way to search the Registry or is this right.
Ran Ccleaner in default and registry modes it deleted some things but message is still present

woodchip 15:14 15 Aug 10

this sounds like its overheating, but as they do not run hot it could be that it is having problems reading the hard drive

woodchip 18:52 15 Aug 10

For Registry Go to run and Type Regedit press enter the go to Menu under Edit is the search box type in the box.
No startup URL for Download. Before you do the bit below click on the My Computer ICON in Left column, so it starts at the top then Press enter key. to go to next in Regedit press F3 delete each time it finds it until it gets to the end. Do not mess with anything ells in Regedit or your computer may not work after

pomerian 20:54 17 Aug 10

I have searched the Registry as per above instructions it ran untill it said search completed but did not find anything

lotvic 00:32 18 Aug 10

See if there are any entries in Event Viewer that tell you what it is.
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…