Error message re: FAT32 files

hmparkin 21:37 24 Jan 06

Hi,

Wondering if anyone might be able to help me... My computer has been doing strange things for the past few months.

Occassionally it will shut itself down for no reason at all, when I'm in the middle of doing something. On restart (which again it does by itself) the following error message appears:

Checking file system on C: The type of file is FAT32. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.

It then does a scan of some sort, delivers lots of numbers as results (sorry I can't be more specific) and starts up.

I had a complete system crash a couple of months ago, where Windows wouldn't load, and had to do a total reset. I've had the above problem both before and after the system crash.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I'm always terrified of this thing going down as I'm a student who is lost without the internet, and also needs to write essays once in a while!

Many thanks.

PaulB2005 21:45 24 Jan 06

click here

Download, install and scan.

woodchip 21:50 24 Jan 06

Sounds like you may have some bad memory modules. But PSU can also create this problem when the Volts are fluctuating instead of being stable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5