Error message prevents drive defragment in XP

GarySimpson 17:48 27 Sep 06

My problem is that I cannot defragment my C: drive because Windows keeps reporting an error message and stopping the process. The error message reads "The scan has been canceled because an error occurred in file C:\WINDOWS\setupapi.log.0.old". Scandisk shows no errors on the C: drive which has 26% free. Any suggestions?

VoG II 17:56 27 Sep 06

Have you tried deleting C:\WINDOWS\setupapi.log.0.old ?

GarySimpson 01:01 28 Sep 06

Yes, I've tried deleting the file. Now, defragmenter stops with a different error message: "Drive (C:) may be corrupted. To check and fix the drive, run chkdsk /f." I've tried this a couple of times, but chkdsk doesn't find any problems with the disk. Other drives defragment normally.

GarySimpson 01:16 28 Sep 06

Now, if I continue to attempt to defragment, I come up with another erroe message saying that "the scan has been canceled because of an error in file: C:\WINDOWS\$HF_MIG$. This is a folder which contains a number of files connected to the Windows Service Pack. Do I really want to try deleting this? Is it time to try and reinstall Windows?

terryf 02:33 28 Sep 06

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.

GarySimpson 09:23 28 Sep 06

What am I looking for?

Eric10 09:48 28 Sep 06

Run a full disk check on your C: drive. Right-click your C: drive > Properties > Tools tab > 'Check Now' button under Error-checking > tick both boxes then agree to run the check at the next boot up. Restart your PC and it will run a full surface scan on the hard drive and attempt to repair any damage that it finds. This can take a long time depending on the size of your hard drive and the amount of damage (if any) and runs through 5 stages but it is very thorough and can fix a lot of problems.

GarySimpson 18:56 28 Sep 06

Thanks for that. I've tried it, and the scan found no problems, but the error remains just the same. Now it's reporting "The scan has been canceled because an error occurred in file "C:\WINDOWS\ODBC.INI"

VoG II 19:25 28 Sep 06

It sounds to me like there is something wrong with Windows Defragmenter.

See if Diskeeper lite will defrag it for you click here

Jackcoms 20:04 28 Sep 06

Have you tried defragging with your AV disabled?

GarySimpson 08:08 29 Sep 06

Thanks everyone. Defragging with AV disabled didn't work, but diskeeper lite has done the business. Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…