Error message. MERSDU~1.SCR

Sapins 21:24 04 Jul 05

Anyone tell me what this error message means and why did I get it.

VoG II 21:29 04 Jul 05

MERSDU~1.SCR is an abbreviated name for the program that this is called. Start, Run, type

msconfig

on the Startup tab look for something beginning with MERSDU and post the full name please.

Sapins 21:42 04 Jul 05

Nothing of that name or anything like it in the start-up tab.

VoG II 21:47 04 Jul 05

Do a search for MERSDU*.SCR

Sapins 21:53 04 Jul 05

Nothing there either, I got the message, for the second time in the last few days, saying MERSDU~1.SCR had to close, sent message to Microsoft.

Everything seems to be running normally though.

VoG II 22:03 04 Jul 05

An .scr file is probably (but not necessarily) a screensaver file.

Try changing your screensaver and see if the message disappears.

octal 22:06 04 Jul 05

An SCR file is usually a Windows screensaver file if that's any help?

Sapins 22:08 04 Jul 05

I think you may be right, when I google'd it there was a vague mention of screen savers but as I have had the present screensaver for a few months I disregarded it, I will give it a go.

Thanks for your help, I'll post back, probably later in the week, if I get the same message.

Regards,

Sapins.

Sapins 22:10 04 Jul 05

I don't use any Windows screensavers, the one I have is a "South Seas" one I got free with some business card blanks but thanks for your help.

Regards,

Sapins.

Sapins 12:43 15 Jul 05

I have now ran a screen saver from the Windows list for a few days and have had no problems, however, when I went back to the original screen saver that I thought might be causing problems the computer froze after a short while. I then returned to the Windows one and the problems have disappeared. I think I will try un-installing and re-installing the problem one and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…