Error Message during Win XP re-install

I'm in the process of passing a PC onto a relative and used Eraser nuke boot disk to clear the H/D.
Now when trying to reinstall Win XP SP2 I get an error message when "Setup is starting windows"
The message is "Plug and Play detected an error most likely caused by a faulty driver" it then goes onto tell me to remove any new hard or software (this is an old PC which was working prior to the H/D wipe) There is nothing plugged into the PC apart from the mouse, keyboard and monitor.

The error code is: 0x000000ca (0x00000001, 0x82f379e0, 0x82f33e30, 0x00000000) I couldn’t find anything on MS help to match this problem.

I have checked the BIOS and Plug & Play support and switched it off and on without any effect (M/B is Asus A7A266, CPU is Athlon XP 2800, 768mb ram, HD Seagate 160 GB.

Please can anyone help, this was only meant to be a couple of hour’s job. (if I had any hair I would be pulling it out.)

Thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:56 18 Nov 06

0x000000ca PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR
0x00000001 type of violation
0x82f379e0 Address of newly-reported PDO
0x82f33e30 Address of older PDO which has been duplicated
0x00000000 Reserved
Cause of Error
Duplicate PDO: A specific instance of a driver has enumerated multiple PDOs with identical device ID and unique IDs.

Only thing MS have is click here

Suggest you boot to safe mode and uninstall / reinstall all drivers.

Thanks for the quick reply but I'm unable to boot in safe mode as I'm trying to install Win Xp when this error message occurs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:16 18 Nov 06

If you have Blue Screen OxCA after a fresh install of XP, odds are issue is with card or PCI bus on that mobo - possibly a PCI bus speed issue... check your PCI card's speed specifications and your mobo settings.

Thanks, we might be on the right path, some how the BIOS showed the that the video card was a PCI when in fact it's plugged into the AGP socket.
Unfortunately even when I corrected that, it still came up with the same error message.

James. 16:52 18 Nov 06

Try loading failsafe defualts in your BIOS settings, then installing XP.

I have reset the BIOS to the default settings and removed all the PCI cards with the exception of the AGP video card. Still getting the same error message but with a different address location

WhiteTruckMan 19:53 18 Nov 06

then scandisk and chose the surface scan option.

I'm thinking you may have a tiny bad bit on the drive.

WTM

Thanks for all your help, I have finally removed all the PCI cards and used eraser nuke boot disk again.
It appears that there were two partitions on C: Although I'm sure I only set one....... I don't understand why this should have caused a problem but with only the one partition I have now successfully re-installed XP and hooked up all the cards.

Again thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…