Error message during boot sequence

ams4127 22:41 16 Aug 10

System spec:
AMD Phenom X4 965 Black edition; Asus M4A78 PRO board; 8GB DDR2 RAM; Radeon 4890 Graphics card.

Problem:
During the boot sequence, after finding all the USB ports etc., this message appears "CPU overtemp detected. Press F1 to continue"

Pressing F1 allows the boot to continue and Windows 7 loads as normal. The computer is running perfectly and I have no other problems with it.

This has only started happening over the last couple of days. To my knowledge, I have changed nothing and certainly not within BIOS.

Has anyone come across this error before? If so, how was it fixed?

Any answers will be most gratefully acknowledged.

woodchip 22:51 16 Aug 10

Its telling you that the CPU is running too hot. So you need to check see if the Heat exchanger is blocked with muck and that Fan is working as it should.

ams4127 16:50 17 Aug 10

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think it is overheating because this happens from cold. The machine has only been on for a matter of 30 seconds or so. Pressing F1 allows booting to continue as normal.

Just now, for example, on first boot of the day the same error message appeared. This time I did not press F1. I simply hit the reset button on the PC which promptly booted perfectly without any error message at all!

It is occuring about midway through the initial boot sequence, just prior to checking NVRAM.

The PC is about a year old and the fans are clean and working as advertised.

Thanks again for your input. If you can think of any other reason which might cause this error, I will be most grateful.

woodchip 16:59 17 Aug 10

Check the BIOS Health Page if it as one, as you can set then to warn when CPU is running too hot

ams4127 20:50 17 Aug 10

I'll check that on next reboot. Thanks.

I've also downloaded the latest BIOS update and am slowly building up courage to install it!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac