Error Message "cannot log on because...."

Bargee 12:24 22 Feb 10

Hi,

This is a further developement to a previous slow PC boot problem with XP Home.

Now, I cannot get the PC to boot & I'm now getting the log on screen even though this was never set up on initial installation, so I don't have a password to log on with. If I try to enter any sort of possible password on the assumption that I did set it up & have simply forgotten, I get following error message:

Cannot log on because the domain ME-5852D0BC45D4 is not available

I've tried to access & copy crucial data files from the SATA HDD the OS was installed on, on another PC via a USB SATA docking station, but I'm getting write errors & that PC's XP searching for the disk as if its just been inserted.

What the chuffin' 'eck is going on, how can I resolve the problem & can this mean my near 18month old SATA HDD is faulty?

howard64 14:54 22 Feb 10

have you the xp disk? if you have you could try booting from it and going through the setup routine and after rejecting the repair option using the recovery console the never screen will offer to allow the repair of xp. This will then set up xp again without losing your data or installed progs.

howard64 15:00 22 Feb 10

after rejecting the repair option using the recovery console the next screen will offer to allow the repair of xp. This will then set up xp again without losing your data or installed progs.

Bargee 16:04 22 Feb 10

Thanks howard 64, but from the symptoms I'm getting when I try to grab the data, ie, the windows autoplay cutting in from time to time along with write error messages, it would seem to indicate the HDD is failing.

So I'm going to grab what data I can & bin the HDD.

Thanks anyway.

howard64 16:16 22 Feb 10

when my weston digital drive failed after 20 months western replaced it as it had a 3 year warranty. Check the make and why not visit the makers site for their downloadable disk diagnostic software which can correct some errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac