Error message - can anyone help ?

domtheboy 01:05 16 Jul 03

Hi chaps

I wonder if anyone can help me with an error message that has been appearing intermitently on my PC for the past 2 months. Initially it wasn't a problem but it has now started to impair the running of certain programs, namely McAfee QuickClean Lite.

Whilst the program is running, it will suddenly crash and an error message prompt box will appear stating:

"The instruction at "0x77f83aef" referenced memory at "0x01b02f1c". The memory could not be written."

The prompt box then says "Click on OK to terminate the program".

I did recently speak to McAfee's own tech supp. but they were not much use. They advised me that starting Windows in Safe Mode and running the program should sort it but it hasn't. I'm running XP by the way if this is of relevance.

Over to you my friends - my everlasting gratitude to anyone who can help ! ;-)

Djohn 01:22 16 Jul 03

click here read this thread and the link provided in it. You will see that I even contacted Microsoft for help.

The problem we where having seemed to be associated with "Freeserve" and "Outlook" Regards. j.

hugh-265156 01:30 16 Jul 03

i had a check on google for this.as far as i can tell,it could either be hardware or software related.

make sure the ram is firmly in the slots.

try using ony one stick at a time(if you have two)and find the faulty one.

more than likely its software though.if its xp have a look in control panel/administrative tools/event viewer for any pointers to the problem.

failing that try uninstalling every program you have one by one untill the problem stops.

graphics drivers maybe.

what are the certain programs giving the error?

domtheboy 11:35 16 Jul 03

hi again - Djohn thanx 4 the link, I'm going to have a look at it in a moment.

Huggy - it seems to be just quick clean lite, this was the program I was running when the error message first appeared. However recently some other programs have been playing up, notably I was using word as the editor for messages within Outlook and last nite it kept shutting itself down.

Tog 13:17 16 Jul 03

Try a memory test using the free utility from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…