Error Message on Boot-Up

Mad Mick 10:02 26 Aug 05

Please help. When my Dell laptop boots up I get the following pop-up message and I have to re-boot to get to my desktop. The message is as follows:-

Faulting application SVCHOST.EXE version 5.1.2600.2180,faulting module NTDLL.DLL version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.

The machine will reboot by pressing the on/off button for about 10 seconds. This very inconvenient and any help to solve this would be appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 9300 with Windows XP2 1GB ram

VoG II 10:08 26 Aug 05

Use the System File Checker click here

Mad Mick 10:46 26 Aug 05

Thanks Vog. I have done as you said and it has booted OK without the error message. Sorry i haven't posted back earlier but the scan took a long time. I will keep this open for the rest of the day and close it if i don't have any further proplems.

Mad Mick 13:26 26 Aug 05

Sorry Vog. There is an improvement in that I can get to the desk top receiving the message and then re-booting. It is becoming a real pain.

I have sent an error report to Microsoft but I don't know how they reply, if in actual fact they do. Thanks for your help so far.

ACOLYTE 14:09 26 Aug 05

This sort of thing can be because of a virus have you scanned the system?.

Mad Mick 15:46 26 Aug 05

Yes. I have used Mc Afee, Spybot, A2 and Ad-Aware SE and all give a clean bill of health.

Mad Mick 18:47 26 Aug 05

The problem appears to be solved, though I cannot be certain. I will close this thread and raise it again if the problem comes back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…