Error Message on boot-up

Satchell 15:01 23 Jan 04

After deleting many 'useless' files the other day, although I am still able to carry on, I get the following error Message Box each time I start my PC (with Windows ME):

WJView Error
ERROR: Could not execute Main: The system cannot find the file specified

I think I must have ditched something by mistake.
Can anyone explain?

AubreyS 15:05 23 Jan 04

Try this...

click here

Satchell 15:22 23 Jan 04

Thanks for the quick reply, Aubey, I'm off to give it a try now. I'm sure I will be able to tick the resolved box when I get back.

Satchell 15:51 23 Jan 04

Aubrey, if you are still there?
Couldn't try solution 1)"c:\windows\system32 you can delete wvjiew.exe and not get the error again." as there was nothing there except 'drivers' folder
I dont understand solution 2) "the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" (remove wvjiew.exe)?
How do I get to the 'registery'?

VoG II 15:56 23 Jan 04

Start, run, type in

and click OK.

Before you do anything else, File/Export and save a copy to the desktop. You can double click this to restore the registry if things go wrong.

Then open up the tree in the left hand pane until you get to wvjiew.exe , highlight it and press Delete. X to exit the registry editor.

AubreyS 15:56 23 Jan 04

Hi Satchell.

I only found that site by a search in Google. I'm far from being expert. You get into the registry by going to Start > Run then type regedit But tread VERY carefully. Do a backup and try to get more expert help.

AubreyS 16:00 23 Jan 04

Hi VoG.

I'm glad you came on. You can give Satchell some of your expert help.

Satchell 16:09 23 Jan 04

Thanks again you guys.
I'm off again to take the test.
Back shortly

Satchell 17:05 23 Jan 04

2) "the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" (remove wvjiew.exe)

I followed the above path (and a few others!)but have still failed to locate wvjiew.exe file?
I think this is going to be a long job?
Am I right in thinking that once located all I have to do is delete it?
As for solution 3)It seems I have to become a subscriber to read the solutions there?

VoG II 17:08 23 Jan 04

OK, try a different tack.

Start, Run, type in

and click OK.

Look for WJView on the Startup tab and untick it of it is there. Then click OK to exit.

Satchell 17:16 23 Jan 04

It is only the Me solutions that require subscription, so there are plenty more solutions to try out.
Good this init, quite educational.
Back soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…