Error message after installing DVD Writer

wyrdu9 10:01 12 Nov 05

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop PC. I recently installed a BenQ DVD Writer, I now get an error message every time I start the PC informing me that drive not found. I am unsure as to how I can remove this error! Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Gongoozler 10:07 12 Nov 05

Hi wyrdu9. Is this drive installed in the same IDE position as a drive you've removed, or is it in in a new IDE position? Have you set the master/slave jumper for the drive?

wyrdu9 10:14 12 Nov 05

Hi Gongoozler, I set the link at the rear of the drive to "cable select". This was the same position as the DVD ROM drive I removed. It was a straight swap DVD ROM out DVD Writer in. The DVD writer is working fine the error message appears at startup and reads "primary drive 0 not found. Press F1 to continue or F2 for setup" When I press F2 and go into the setup menu there is nothing obvious wrong but I am no expert!.

Gongoozler 10:23 12 Nov 05

Hi wyrdu9. I think that "Primary drive 0" is referring to the hard drive!. Check that you haven't dislodged your hard drive IDE connector. You could also check in the CMOS setup (usually by pressing Del at boot up) to see if all your drives have been detected.

De Marcus™ 10:32 12 Nov 05

Some drives aren't all that happy on cable select, give it a definite position on the ide channel, such as secondary or primary. (master or slave) and set up each drive to correspond.

wyrdu9 14:48 12 Nov 05

I have managed to rectify the problem, I unfortunately gave you some duff information the error was "Primary drive 1 not found". I had the primary slave drive set to Auto instead of Off so the PC was looking for a drive that didnt exist. Thanx for your help anyway !! Cheers

Gongoozler 20:58 12 Nov 05

Well done wyrdu9. The most obscure problems often turn out to be finger trouble ;-). I trust that the BenQ DVD-RW is doing all that you expect of it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…