Error Message

AubreyS 17:10 14 Dec 03

If I leave my PC unattended for a while, sometimes I get the error message, synchost has caused an error. Can anyone tell me what this is please? I did a search for synchost.exe and found it in C: Windows. I'm running XP Pro. Thanks.
A.

Diodorus Siculus 17:14 14 Dec 03

This trojan allows a hacker to remotely take control of the infected computer. It copies itself as 'SYNCHOST.EXE' into the C:\%Windir% directory and hooks the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

With the value: "Remote Access Slave" C:\%windir%\Synchost.exe

By modifying the registry in this way it allows itself to execute after every time the computer is re-started.

The trojan also opens port 4999 to allow the hacker access to the infected computer.

Seems you need to do a trojan / antivirus scan pretty soon.

AubreyS 17:16 14 Dec 03

Hi Diodorus.

I have NAV and I did a scan and it found nothing. What do you suggest I do to remove this?

Diodorus Siculus 17:21 14 Dec 03

AubreyS - have a look at the site I mentioned above click here and go down to Removal Instructions.

Diodorus Siculus 17:23 14 Dec 03

click here for a better suggestion via Norton Site.

woodchip 17:23 14 Dec 03
  AubreyS 17:25 14 Dec 03

Thanks both of you. I just going to try and remove it. I'll let you know the result.

A.

AubreyS 18:41 14 Dec 03

I've tried to do what Norton has suggested, but the trojan appears to still be there. Is there something that I can simply download that will remove it?

VoG II 18:43 14 Dec 03
  AubreyS 18:50 14 Dec 03

Hello VoG.

I downloaded and ran Trojan Remover. It did the scan and it found nothing. I did a search and synchost.exe is still on my PC. I'm a bit baffled. Is it a trojan or not?

©®@$? 18:52 14 Dec 03

have you deleted

Remote Access Slave C:\%windir%\Synchost.exe

from the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…