Error loading operating system

amjad11097 20:43 01 Jul 08

Hi there, I've tried to start my computer "which is xp home" and all i get is a black screen saying error loading operating system. I've tried the recovery console and tried fixboot and fixmbr then it loads up fine then when i restart, it says error loading operating system.
any help would be appreciated.

MAT ALAN 21:29 01 Jul 08

If all the software options have failed i suspect Hardware, your HDD could be dying....

click here

you can download a diagnostic tool from the link pending on the make of your HDD...

ronalddonald 07:48 02 Jul 08

inserting your xp disc and do anew fresh install. It could be a conflict between software and hardware.

I had a similar problem when i installed the drivers last instead of after the xp install. If you can back up any data 1st.

amjad11097 17:59 02 Jul 08

thanks for the reply guys. I tried the diagnostic tool but all was well. i did install a second dvd rewriter, maybe thats the prob. i'll disconnect the second rw and try that if not i'll try a fresh install of xp.

amjad11097 19:54 02 Jul 08

I tried to re install xp but no eula could be found. i ran fixboot and fix mbr and it worked but when i take the recovery disk out and change boot options to hard drive the error comes back "error loading operating system"
I can't get it? any more ideas anyone?

rick808 20:26 02 Jul 08

did you run chkdsk /r and chkdsk /p while in recovery console?

amjad11097 20:45 02 Jul 08

i've tried the chkdsk options but still nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now